Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Decorating on a Budget Thanksgiving

I love to decorate for holidays.   
All holidays. 
And Thanksgiving is no exception. 
But I can't afford to go out and buy fancy decorations so I will tell you 
How Nana Does It.


Making decorations can be fun and cheap! 
Get a scrap of wood and paint it with your favorite Thanksgiving message. 
Add hangers to the back or add a little wire to hang your sign like the sign above.
Put it on the front door to greet guests and add a cheery message to your home.


I go to garage sales, auctions, flea markets, and antique malls all year long.  
Buy a item that tugs at your heart and reminds you of Thanksgiving when you were little. 
I found this ceramic turkey at a garage sale that made memories surface of my Aunt Selma James who made ceramics.

And don't forget the items that your mother or grandmother left you.   I always look at my Mother's corn husk doll with sweet memories of it sitting in the middle of her dinning room table.

 My most precious treasure reminding me of my mother is her crystal cornucopia and it sits out where I can see it everyday.  The cornucopia is in my memories since I was very small.

Don't forget your kitchen table.  I found this vintage Thanksgiving tablecloth at a auction and got it for $2.   I mixed it with some plain gold napkins I also got on the cheap and a little wood turkey and cornucopia.    I love the fall colors and they can fit in any room during the Thanksgiving season.

 After Thanksgiving sales usually mean items that are 50 to 75% off.   Check with your local Hobby Lobby and Michael's store.  It may be late for this year but stored safely in a plastic tub and it will be a fresh, welcome surprise for next year!
I decorated this straw cornucopia with fall leaves, fake fall fruit, and a few flowers.   I placed in on a topless cake plate to give it some height.

 I purchased these pilgrims at the Dollar Store in a after-holiday sale.   I am always careful to wrap them in bubble wrap even though they just cost a few dollars.

In the larger cornucopia I placed fake pumpkins, squash, apples, and crab apples with more leaves all purchased from garage sales or after holiday clearance sales.

Not have Thanksgiving at your house?   Decorate anyway.   Do it for the memories.  Do it for the warm colors.  Do it for the kids and grandkids.  And do it for yourself.
It will remind you to be thankful.  

1 comment:

  1. I need to have your motivation! Your house looks very fall-ish! I'll read and become inspired!

    ReplyDelete