Thursday, November 12, 2015

How does your garden grow?



Growing your own food can be a work, fun, and satisfying.  
Even in a small backyard you can find space.  
At our last house my husband decided he didn't want to mow any more, so he decked the entire backyard!  Almost.........
I still found space to garden. 
I put the melons in the rain drain spout areas. 
This soil was moist and received the most water. 
If you have a creek or pond on your land, that is the best place for melons.

Starting off corn by the shed and beside the pool.


Strawberries usually come back every year.   I plant mine under my apple trees for the shade and the water from the gutters runs down to this area.   The thing that nobody tells you about berries:
Birds that eat your berries will POOP red poop on your house, cars, and decks.    
I suggest covering the plants with extra chicken wire or mesh like they use to prevent you from parking in wet cement.

Cantaloupes grown by the rain spouts




Children of the Corn

More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment