Sunday, September 18, 2016

The Closet

I like big closets. I can not lie.  I don't like putting away the winter clothes and dragging out the summer clothes.  sigh.   But most houses don't have huge closets.  In fact, it's only in the last few years that closets have become big.   In "pioneer days" most people had a hook or nail to hang their one set of clothes.
In parts of Europe they charge tax for closets.  That is why they have so many armoires in homes and hotels.

So, in each house I have purchased I have striven to have a large closet.
In the Glad House we have a big bathtub.   I mean HUGE.
It would have taken half a day and gallons and gallon of water to fill it up.  This costs money!! 
We had a normal size tub upstairs and since I prefer showers, I decided to rip it out. 
So I did. 


The bathtub and jet motor still worked very well so I was able to donate them.   I called my local Restore, Habitat for Humanity and they sent 4 strong guys to come pick it up.   AND I got a tax credit for donating to a charity! 
There were 2 small closets on either side of the tub so I opened up those too. 


My husband patched the walls with mud and tape on the sheet rock and we decided to put down tile where the bathtub had been. 
We added studs and and sheet rock all the way across the back of the bathroom encompassing the full length of the room. 
About the same time a clothing store in our town was going out of business and I ask the owner about the fixtures.   I was able to buy sheets of Slat Wall for $20 each.   These are $95 each new.   
We added the slat wall at the end of the closet. 

Slat wall can be purchased at fixture stores.  They normally sell to retail stores to display their goods.  It is also online at KC Store Fixtures.  It is heavier than paneling weighing about 90 to 100 lbs.  a sheet.  It can easily be cut to fit.  The Fixture store also sells metal shelving, hat displays, necklace displays, and anything you see at your local Charming Charlie's or Khols. 



We purchased the cabinets at Home Depot.  I opted for the open cabinets and used my baskets for socks, hankies, hose, etc.
My husband put drawers in his cabinets for his underwear and socks.
The rods for the hanging clothes are hung between each tall cabinet.
There is also plenty of room to store hats, wigs, or sweater boxes on top of the cabinets.
We added lights and my husband surprised me by putting in a automatic switch.   When I walk in the closet the lights automatically come on.



MORE TO COME..........................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment