Wednesday, August 31, 2016

My Secret Playroom

When remodeling your house, don't forget the children.  If you don't have children at home you might have a basket or tub of toys for visiting friends and their children.  It is always so much easier to visit when little kids have something to play with.

In most of my homes I have made a "Kid's Room" or even just a closet.  
This walk-in closet was decorated for kids and is full of toys for them.
Self adhesive stickers can be put on the walls and are easy to remove.   I put stickers of cars and trucks on one side and stickers of flowers and princess items on the other.   In this room I put plenty of light and safety measures.  Cover all outlets and be careful with wires.
I installed a old wall phone for the children to "make calls".  (Some of those conversations are pretty interesting!)     I also used a old small tv with a VCR for all those old VHS tapes..  Even my 3 yr. old grandson can put in his VHS tapes by himself.
The wire baskets are easy to install and can hold balls, and dress up clothes.
Baskets can hold Legos and small toys.
One word about toys, please clean and wipe them off often.   I use Clorox wipes before visiting children are coming and when I buy toys for the room at garage sales.
Shelves were put in for the VHS tapes and books.  
Several bean bags and small stools were added for comfort.
My husband installed a switch so when the children open the playroom door the light comes on automatically.
The kids even enjoy decorating their own room for the holidays.  We put in a small Christmas tree and let them decorate it how they like.
Outside the room are the two favorite items for the kids.    A doorbell and a mailbox.
I found the mailbox at a thrift store and spray painted it black.   Kids love to get mail and I often put letters or cards in the mailbox.    Don't forget to add stickers on those notes!
The doorbell is often heard in my house and MUST be used by any visiting adult.  

No comments:

Post a Comment